5.30.2006

Campco Vest

I never did seriously consider using a photo vest.

I prefer candid street photography, and a vest just makes you stand out. I have done just fine working out of a small bag, like Domke's 803 or F3X. The only time I appreciated being unencumbered by a bag was when shooting the G8 concert earlier this month (see separate post). I had to move quickly, mainly in darkness, in out and around crowds. I opted instead to use a 2-lens pouch on my belt, and luckily, Photoskoda had one by Cullman. Luckily, since I have been looking for something similar in the States for months. Still, I was not convinced to try a photo vest.

What I did see when I was in Europe earlier this month were a lot of people wearing travel vests. That, to me, made more sense. Going around town, it took the place of a daypack for a water bottle, small umbrella or windbreaker, ipod, map, guidebook pages, small LED light, small notebook or journal, pen, change,sunglasses, etc. On the plane, it is convenient as well, holding a pocketbook, reading glasses, passport and boarding pass (in a secure pocket), and water bottle. If you are one to travel light (with no checked luggage), the added bonus is that these are not included in your maximum carryon weight.

When we started planning our upcoming trip to Morocco (March 2007), and possibly to Egypt (in 2008), I decided to get one. Ok, if I am getting a vest, might as well get one sturdy enough to hold a camera and lenses. Although an M body would probably be too heavy to have in a pocket all day (though the pockets would certainly accomodate it, and more), a CL/40mm Summicron + 90 Elmar + 28 Skopar would be a sweet travel kit. Maybe throw in a 21/4 and VF as well.

Domke was an obvious early choice. The price of their photog vest has dropped significantly, now available from B&H for about $65. I have to admit, the black one looks cool. My only reservation was that it looked long and heavy. That may be less comfortable on long flights, specially when you find yourself constantly sitting on the hem.

I have heard many "old-timers" praise the Banana Republic vest, now long out of production. Campco's Safari Travel Vest was favorably reviewed, and was apparently identical to the old BR vest. It was also popular with geologists on the field for holding rock samples. Well, if it's tough enough for that...

Well, I have to say that I can't be more pleased with it. I initially ordered one in khaki, but opted for something darker, more like British khaki. There was apparently quite a sample variation as regards actual colors, and what I wanted was on the "spectrum" of what was officially "olive drab." Dana over at Amateur Geologist was very helpful, and saved me a lot of time as well as shipping expenses. They also have it at a great price -- $39. How can you go wrong?

No comments: