6.02.2006

Photography 101

For the beginning enthusiast, there are, of course, classes at the local community college. These past couple of weeks, however, quite a few acquaintances have asked me for tips on the self-study of photography.

For this type of introduction, there are a number of excellent books as well as resources on the web. I used to have these bookmarked, but since my hard drive crashed a few months ago, I had to look these up for them.

Here's my Quick Ten recommendation list:

Once you are acquainted with the basics, the most important thing to remember is to

- SHOOT plenty of pictures. Close and far, landscape and vertical format, from different angles and viewpoints.

- LOOK at plenty of pictures. As much as you can. Photo books, photoblogs, works of the masters, paintings, drawings. See what makes them work.

- have fun!

No comments: