9.01.2006

A Week of Rain

I am off this week, and the weather has been miserable. We had plans to drive 6 hours north to Vermont to stay at a lakeside cabin. Since enjoying "the outdoors" would be nearly impossible unless you wanted to hike in muck, there seemed to be little to gain in going. If I would be confined indoors all week, might as well do it in comfort.

The week didn't turn out so bad. Quite restful even. There were even a couple of days cold enough that we had the fireplace going. I spent a lot of time sitting on my big armchair beside it, reading. With the dark skies and pouring rain, I honestly can't think of a lot of things I would have enjoyed more. With Billie Holiday playing, all that was lacking was the Laphroaig, in honor of John Rain (no pun intended), whose latest exploits I was engrossed in all week.

I had read three of the Rain books in the past, starting with "Killing Rain," followed by the first two of the series. This time, I got a copy of "Rain Storm," which I liked most of the four. I will need to get a copy of the latest installment, "The Last Assassin."

Great light reading. Why are there no John Rain movies yet?

1 comment:

RG said...

I emailed author Barry Eisler a few weeks ago regarding a mistake on the latest Rain novel, "The Last Assassin." A few hours later, he replied:

Ray, thanks for catching those typos, as others have. I'm depressed to report that an overzealous proof reader who lacked the judgment to check with me first "corrected" Dov to Dox after my final signoff on the page proofs. It's damned frustrating. It's fixed in the third and fourth printings of the book (the book went into a second printing too soon to fix). Here's a link, if you're curious -- scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Thanks too for the kind mention on your blog. Your photographs are stunning -- it must be great to have that talent.

BTW, if you want to get twice-yearly updates on all things Rain, don't forget to get on my mailing list here. Just check the box, enter your email address, and click "Join Now."

Glad you've been enjoying the books, and many thanks again.

Cheers,

Barry
http://www.barryeisler.com


It's nice to see that success has not yet swelled up his ego, enough to make him "above" replying to an email. Of course, if he gets to be an ex-editor of a defunct photo magazine, and author of a popular photoblog, that may change.