9.19.2006

Bag review: LL Bean's Flying Tiger Briefcase

I have got lots of bags. This has got to be one of the best.

I got this as a gift early this year, and took it on my trip to Prague and Vienna last summer. Great carry-on, with loads of storage space: two large external pockets with magnetic flaps, one with pens loops, slot for cards, and a convenient case for glasses. Zippered passport/ticket pocket. Full length zippered pocket on the other side. More pockets inside, including a smart hanging zippered one so you don't have to dredge the bottom of the main compartment for small items.

Construction is first rate, with heavy but soft full grain leather throughout. Zippers and seams are strong. Soft satin-like inside lining. The strap is adjustable and softly padded.

When not seeing use as carryon, it often sees use as my camera bag. Throw in a 3-compartment Domke insert, and it is a much, much cooler alternative to a Billingham Hadley Pro. A bit on the heavy side though, like comparing a leather jacket to a canvas field coat.

It spends most of its life as my office briefcase, which it also does with flying colors. Great all-around bag. If you want a slightly smaller (albeit costlier) alternative, check out Levenger's Stanley Traveler. The Stanley is more business, less attitude.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review and recommendation. Looks like the bag is being discontinued but caught it on sale at LLBean.

RG said...

You are welcome. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a link from which I could buy this? I can't find it anywhere!

RG said...

I think they no longer carry it.