9.07.2006

Lawyers, Doctors and other "Fondlers"

In photography, at least in the online photo-related forums and blogs, there exists a great divide to rival that between film and digital - that of so-called photographers versus gear-heads, also "fondly" referred to as gear fondlers. People who appreciate the gear more than they use it. People who can talk technical details, but cannot shoot worth a damn.

Doctors, lawyers, architects, engineers, dentists, etc all have been labelled as the stereotypical "fondler." On the extreme end of the fondler camp are two sublasses: the Leica fondlers, and the latest-whiz-bang-pixel-peeping digital fondlers. Often one person is in both fondler subcategories.

There is at least some truth to this characterization.

Here are some of my thoughts, many of which are not new:

1. Lawyers, doctors, and professionals in general, have a greater amount of disposable income. Money for hobbies. Camera equipment is expensive, especially, you guessed it, Leicas and the latest digital wonders.

2. Obviously, these professionals are not pro photographers. Hence they shoot less than someone who does this for a living.

3. Contrary to the stereotype, more than 50% of Leicas ever produced are in Japan. In the hands of collectors.

4. Many fondlers appreciate fine craftsmanship. How things work. They are technical. Probably because their left brain is more developed from all the studying, reading and learning to reach where they are now in their professions. These people ask why and how. That's why they know all these little gearhead details. Not just about their cameras. But also about cars, and wines, and home entertainment systems. They tinker under the hood.

My wife paints and plays the piano, but she can't work the TV remote.

5. Anyone, fondler or not, who thinks that expensive gear = good photography is truly stupid. Anyone who believes the converse is both stupid and elitist. Gear need not be expensive, as long as it does what you need it to do. Oftentimes, however, the more you demand of the gear to enable you to shoot what you need (ie faster lenses for low light, or longer lenses for, *yawn,* bird photography) the more you need to pay.

6. I don't agree that fondlers are clueless about art. In fact, many fondlers are well-versed in art. They go to museums. They can appreciate paintings. They own artwork. They may not have as much free time to paint or photograph, though, because...

7. Many, if not all, of people in these professions make good money because they work long hours. Personally, I work from sunup to sundown every weekday. In addition, I work every 4th night from 5pm to 8am the following morning. I also work every 4th weekend from 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.

I also have a wife and young children.

Sure, I would love to have a day with nothing to do but walk aimlessly down alleyways waiting for a good street photo.

But I would be lucky to bring my camera along on the weekends when I go out with my family, then later during the weekend, process, scan, and PP.

Realistically, most of my shooting is during time off, or vacations. We try to do that as often as possible.



Would I trade my profession for my hobby? No. I love what I do and I get a lot of satisfaction from it. Heck, I went through 21 years of school plus 6 years of post-graduate training to get to where I am. I must love it.

If I won the lottery... maybe I would work a little less, and spend a more time travelling, more time with my family, and more time wandering aimlessly down alleyways waiting for a good street photo.

No, I don't fondle my gear or whisper sweet nothings to my camera. I can appreciate the craftsmanship behind it, but I don't particularly treat it with kid gloves. In fact, most of my stuff was bought used, but mechanically in perfect shape. I try to use it as much as I can. Not as much as I would like to, yes.

Perhaps not as much as someone else may think I should, but then why should I give a shit?

Alright, enough of the late night rant. The way I see it, fondlers are just left brain people. Sure, photography is an art, but unlike most art forms, it involves gadgets. Fondlers are drawn to the optics, the rangefinder mechanics, the precision, the electronics, the computer post-processing. Right brain "photographers" are drawn by the "art."

This is just a rule of thumb. A select few are great at both. Da Vinci for one.

Are they mutually exclusive? No. Left brain people can shoot, same as right brain people can add and subtract. After all, everyone has both sides of the brain. It's a question of having the knack for something.

The brain can also be taught.

Someone was figuring out how to make fire while someone else drew on cave walls. Hard to draw at night without fire. Live and let live.

No comments: