4.04.2007

My Cure for G.A.S.

Many of us have our own little (or large) ensemble of cameras that we have accumulated over the years. Some we have hardly used in recent months, or even years. Each with its own little special something that has kept us from putting them on sale. Unless your aim is to be a collector, this tends to become a problem sooner or later.

Affectionately, the term GAS or Gear Acquisition Syndrome has been coined to describe this, shall we say, affliction.

In medical terms, the closest name would be camera-mania.

It is a real problem. Something of an addiction. Credit card debt. Concealing purchases items from spouses. Winning an auction on ebay for something you really don't need or even want. Not being able to resist a "deal." These are all "humorous" stories you commonly hear on many online forums.

Not only that, it interferes with your actually improving as a photographer. Kinda like Tiger jumping around from Callaway to Taylormade to Ping, and so on.

Fortunately, I think I have found a solution, at least for myself (disclaimer). Reverse psychology. Huh?

One day, I looked at the stuff I had, and realized that if I put these all together, I would have enough for a really good camera and a handful of lenses. Really good ones. Ones that I have always thought to be too expensive or excessive. Ironically, this turned out to be an example of "false economy."

My wife asked, "Why don't you get something you really like, and get rid of the rest?"

So, to make a long story short, I thought of my "dream camera." Then I sold off enough to buy it. I still have a bit of the old stuff, but you know what? Now they do not appeal to me as much. I have been able to "let them go" and have started to sell them to new owners who will hopefully put them to good use.

One thing I can say is that I have used each and every single camera I have owned. Not only that, I know them inside out. In retrospect, it was a lot of fun learning about them, restoring them, using them, and appreciating them. It was part of the fun. Part of the hobby. Without going through this process, I don't think I could have figured out for myself what it is exactly that I like. I would not know what I know now. And now it is time to move on.

Yes, I will be holding on to a handful of favorites, just for some variety, but that's it. I'm done.

Yes, I bought an expensive camera, and my wife could not be happier.

Wait a minute... come to think of it, I think she planned this all along...

No comments: