6.14.2007

John Rain's Latest

Requiem for an Assassin came out the end of May, and I just finished reading my copy. This is the 6th Barry Eisler novel about John Rain, "the most charismatic assassin since James Bond," (San Francisco Chronicle).

Personally, I think it was the best-written: it's pace was fast and sustained, with no lulls or overly lengthy descriptions. It is also possibly a reflection of the maturation of the author as a storyteller.

My only misgiving about it - I think it assumes that the reader has read the preceding Rain books. Characters, like Boaz, popped up with not much background for the reader's benefit. I "discovered" this character after picking up "Killing Rain" from the New Books shelf at the local library a couple of years ago. I had no problem, despite starting with the 4th book in the series. Somehow, I think starting with Requiem would be different.

There were a few differences that struck me, compared to the other books. Not a single mention of jazz, if I recall correctly. First time Rain did not go to a jazz or whiskey bar. Only one drink of single malt (Glenmorangie) throughout the whole novel. It seems John Rain is becoming more of a wine connoisseur?

In addition to the fast pace, there was also considerably more travel in this novel: Paris, Saigon, Bali, Singapore, Silicon Valley, LA, Tokyo, New York, Rotterdam. Also a new "affinity" for expensive cars: Mercedes E500, BMW 750iL. Expensive watch. The books must be selling well, eh?

Lastly, the political statements about the current administration, and the war in Iraq. AG. American society's excesses. I don't think John was quite so vocal in the past.

I hope this is not the end, although Rain seems to have run out of enemies. All in all a good read, especially for Rain fans.

No comments: