6.15.2007

Coffee Roasting Update


It's been close to a year now since I first wrote about our coffee roasting adventure. It's about time for an update.

First off, it has been loads of fun. A bit daunting when you have to roast beans in the garage in the wintertime, though, but still fun.

The West Bend Poppery II popcorn popper has seen much use, roasting 1/4 lb of beans twice a week. Even roasting, easy to use, good batch sizes (1/4 1b requires two batches). The roasts are easy to vary, and replicate, as long as you keep a log. For my needs... I am perfectly happy with this $10 roaster.

As far as roasting, I have my system down pat. I have a Gralab 300 enlarger timer that, when the timer reaches zero (signalling the end of the roast), gives out a load buzz, and automatically turns on a small electric fan pointed at my baking (cooling) pan. I dump the smoking-hot beans into the non-stick baking pan. It has a corrugated bottom which quickly dissipates the heat. A few stirs with my wooden spoon, and the beans are cool.

The decision to get the midrange Capresso Infinity burr grinder was a good one. The grinder has been reliable, with consistently excellent results.

I am glad we got the press pot in two sizes: the eight cup is good for 2-3 people. When I just want one cup, the 3 cup Bodum Chambord is just right.

A fast-heating electric kettle is key. The Braun was a bit costlier than the competition, but well worth it. It has no cord to tangle, and no heating element inside to corrode.

Beans? Well that certainly is the most crucial component.

Burman has good prices, but there was some variability in quality and taste between orders. Makes me doubt the freshness of their beans.

Sweet Maria's costs a bit more than most places, especially with shipping costs from California. The quality and freshness of their offerings are top rate. You just get the sense that they actually know what they are talking about. That gives you the confidence that they select the best lots. Their service has been excellent, too. In my first shipment, a couple of bags opened in transit and I ended up with "blended" coffee. They promptly shipped me two replacement bags for free. Try that with Willoughby's aka Roastmasters.com. No one picks up the phone, or returns your phone call.

Willoughby's has been a pain to deal with, particulary trying to pick up the beans from their store(s). Somehow you get the impression that they do not want to sell green beans. Sure I could have it shipped to me one town away, but it's a matter of principle. Their prices are also the highest I have seen. Lastly, I have not been impressed with the coffees I tried (from the store, roasted or green).

On a friend's advice, I am trying out a new (to me) source in North Carolina, The Coffee Bean Corral, particularly for their Kauai selection. They also have a very large selection, and an informative site. Like Sweet Maria's, they strike me as more confidence inspiring that places where your options are pretty generic, like "Kenya AA", or "Colombia Supremo." And they take Paypal, if you are hesitant to give your credit card information. We'll see.

If you like coffee and are still buying roasted beans (or worse, grounds... yech!) from the grocery, give roasting a try. You won't regret it.

No comments: